Lawyers Fighting For The Rights Of Those Injured On School Transportation
There are many types of auto accidents, but bus accidents can be the most tragic due to the amount of people that are involved. Unfortunately, bus accidents are prevalent because many buses have outdated equipment and poor bus maintenance.
These accidents can be more dangerous than other types of crashes because these buses are not required to have seat belts, so most do not. Also, due to the weight, size, speed, and lack of seat belts, bus accidents can cause severe injuries.
Who is liable for a school bus crash in Pennsylvania?
Much like truck accidents, rideshare accidents, and tractor-trailer accidents, there are a number of factors that come into play when it comes to liability. Depending on the specifics of the accident, one or more of the following could be held responsible:
- Bus driver
- School district when school buses are involves
- Private school, church, or other organization which owned and operated the bus
- The company contracted to provide the bus
- Third-party maintenance companies
- The manufacturers of the bus and/or parts
- The driver of another vehicle
- Any municipality that may have contributed to the accident by creating dangerous road conditions
How does a school bus accident differ from other bus accidents?
There are special issues that relate to school bus accidents that you should be aware of. There are rules that limit the amount of money that can be obtained when the school bus is operated by the Commonwealth or a Municipality:
- The Sovereign Immunity Act: This only allows for recovery against a Commonwealth party for a maximum of “$250,000 in favor of any plaintiff or $1,000,000 in the aggregate.”
- The Tort Claims Act: This only allows for a maximum recovery of “$500,000 either by a single plaintiff or in the aggregate.”
However, if the school bus is privately owned, your attorney will turn to the company’s insurance carriers for compensation. There are many factors at play in school bus accidents, and you should not navigate the process alone.
Why should I find a top-rated bus accident lawyer?
It is important that you find a qualified attorney and begin the legal process as soon as possible. Your lawyer will look into the case details and determine which party or parties might be liable so that you are properly compensated.
Thanks to years of experience, KaplunMarx is able to skillfully pursue personal injury claims on your behalf, and the sooner you contact us, the sooner we can get you the highest payment possible in or out of court.
Contact Our Award-Winning Philadelphia School Bus Accident Law Firm To Discuss Your Legal Options Today
If you or a loved one was involved in a bus accident, you will receive calls from investigators and insurance company representatives, but you should absolutely not speak to them without speaking to an attorney from KaplunMarx first.
This kind of case is incredibly tricky, and you should not try to handle on your own. Having a highly skilled accident attorney on your side can protect your legal rights and increase your ability to get the justice you deserve.
To speak with our legal team, give us a call at (215) 939-4895 or feel free to fill out the form on our website.