The Tractor-Trailer Accident Lawyer
Tractor-trailers, also known as 18-wheelers, semi’s, and semi-trucks, are notorious for their size and weight – if you have ever driven next to one of these gigantic sized vehicles than you know exactly what I am describing. 80,0000 pounds is the average weight of a loaded tractor-trailer, that is a lot of weight moving at a high rate of speed on our roadways. When a tractor-trailer is involved in an accident with another vehicle, or pedestrian unfortunately the tractor trailer almost always”wins”. The end result of a tractor-trailer accident is significant injury or death – in those instances you need a truck accident lawyer who understands the intricacies of dealing with this type of personal injury case.
Special Rules Governing Tractor-Trailer Accidents:
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (“FMCSR”) are the set of federal rules that govern tractor-trailer transportation (along with other commercial vehicles), providing a set of minimum safety standards for the interstate trucking industry to follow. The reason that this regulation has been passed is because Congress understands that driving a tractor-trailer is a dangerous activity, and believes that this activity should only be done by those with a high level of training.
Specific FMCSR rules that are often key issues when handling tractor-trailer accident cases:
- How long a driver can be on the road consecutively before they must stop and rest,
- Preventative maintenance and inspection requirements on trucks,
- Requirements on loading cargo and securing that cargo,
- Hiring, training and supervising requirements for trucking companies and their drivers,
- Rules regarding timing on delivery scheduling by trucking companies to not encourage speeding and/or exceeding the max hours of driving time.
The Most Common Types of Tractor-Trailer Accidents:
- Jackknife: When a tractor-trailer is involved in a collision, many times the trailer portion swings around, folding the trailer portion back toward the cab, which can impact other vehicles on the roadway causing more accidents.
- Tire blowouts: Everyone has seen those big scraps of tire laying on the side of the highway, these are a result of tire blowouts, often a result of tires that are worn down, but not replaced. A tire blowout on a tractor-trailer is particularly dangerous as it can result in a loss of control and catastrophic results.
- Roll-Over: These accidents are usually the result of a driver taking a turn at a high rate of speed causing the tractor-trailer to roll-over.
- Driver Error: Illegal stimulant use by tractor-trailer drivers is unfortunately common, once those “uppers” wear off driver can become extremely drowsy many times leading to horrific results.
Tractor-trailer accidents investigations are much more complex than investigation of a run-of-the-mill car accidents. The list of defendants who can share in the liability of a tractor-trailer accident can be extensive, including, but not limited to: the driver, the trucking company, leasing companies, manufacturers of parts on the tractor-trailer that may have been to blame, etc. Believe me, there will be a lot of finger pointing, and trying to pass the buck by the defendants in a tractor-trailer accident case. Our tractor-trailer accident lawyer will examine all of the possible parties that could be at fault for the accident and bring legal action against all those responsible to get maximum value for our client.
The Time To Contact A Lawyer Is Now:
A tractor-trailer accident lawyer at KaplunMarx has the knowledge that you need to help get maximum dollar for your personal injury case. We represent tractor-trailer accident victims throughout Pennsylvania and New Jersey, and get our clients results. Time is not on your side, so contact us today!
Protect Your Right To Compensation
If you have been injured in any type of accident, you can turn to Pennsylvania personal injury lawyers Ted Kaplun or Jonathan Marx for help obtaining the maximum allowable compensation available to you. We have over 200+ 5-star reviews for a reason. At KaplunMarx, WE DO NOT BACK DOWN.