Bus accidents can have catastrophic results. When you combine size, weight, speed, and an accident you are looking at a recipe for disaster. If you are a passenger, driver of another car, bike rider, or pedestrian who has been injured in a bus accident you need a lawyer that understands the intricacies of these types of cases. You are in luck, we are a team of exceptional bus accident lawyers and we can help you.
In Philadelphia and the surrounding counties SEPTA operates buses, trolleys, subways, and the Regional Rail – what that means is that there are a huge number of commuters that take SEPTA transportation on a daily basis. Dealing with bus accidents involving SEPTA bring on a very unique set of circumstances that your lawyer needs to understand to get you maximum dollar for your injuries. Our team of Pennsylvania bus accident lawyers have extensive experience going up against SEPTA and getting fantastic results for clients.
What To Do If You’re In a SEPTA Accident
When a SEPTA accident happens there are usually a large number of people who are panicking because of what just happened – don’t panic! The following tips will help you get through this traumatic experience:
- Get medical attention, first and foremost,
- Ask the SEPTA driver for a form to report your injuries,
- If the Police come to the scene, note any DC numbers,
- Gather all the information you can, including the SEPTA drivers name, and/or license plate info from any other drivers involved in the accident,
- Get names, number and address of any witnesses to the accident,
- Note the route your are on, and the time, bus number, and place of the accident,
- Take pictures of the scene,
- Explain all injuries at the Emergency Room and/or your Doctor.
Other Types of Bus Accidents
While SEPTA in the most common carrier in Philadelphia, other bus companies operate throughout Pennsylvanian and New Jersey, like Greyhound, Mega Bus, school buses, and other bus companies. Don’t worry, we handle bus accidents involving these bus companies too.
The most important factor needed to win a bus accident case is proving negligence. What that means in that you need to show that the bus was negligent in a way that caused you harm. You can prove negligence by showing a breach of safety laws or unreasonable carelessness in the way that the vehicle was driven.
The bus driver may have been negligent in the crash, which would potentially make the driver, and the entity employing him, responsible for your losses. Other parties besides the bus driver could also potentially be responsible for your injury. If another vehicle struck the bus and caused the crash, you could pursue a claim for damages from that driver. If there was a problem with the bus or train and its parts, the manufacturer of the vehicle could be held accountable for losses.
How Much Money Can I Get For A Bus Accident Case?
How much money you can get for a bus accident case is a fair question, but the bottom line is no lawyer can tell you that initially. Why? Because as discussed above there are a lot of moving parts that will play out over time, such as: who was at fault for the bus accident, how bad are your injuries, and who you can pursue legal action against (and whether sovereign immunity rules apply). Factors we use to help us determine value of bus accidents are as follows:
- Medical Bills: Cost for immediate treatment, and continuing medical care;
- Wage Loss: If you cannot work, you likely are not getting paid, you should be able to claim for the amont of money you lost because of the bus accident;
- Future Money Lost: Reduction in earning potential because of the after-effects of the accident;
- Pain and Suffering: This is a big component of your case, how much pain, aggravation and physical damage and possibly emotional distress have you gone through as a result of this accident;
- Wrongful Death: The worst type of loss, a death caused by a bus accident will need a thorough computation of damages, often done by an economic expers and can include loss of companionship for a wife, husband and/or children.
Do I Really Need a Bus Accident Attorney?
I cannot stress enough the importance of having a lawyer in place as soon as possible to protect your rights after a bus accident. There are multiple facets of an accident that need thorough investigation and our law firm will look at all possible angles to get recovery for an injured person. The bus accident may seem clear cut on its surface, but often times there are factors that need to be looked into, like what company owns the bus, was the roadway design at fault among other issues that need to be examined. We do that deep dive for our clients, our efforts help get them maximum results.
Why Choose Our Law Firm?
The answer is simple, our team understands what is needed to win bus accident cases. We don’t skimp on the details and we are never afraid to go to trial. The most important factor needed to win a bus accident case is proving negligence. You must show that the bus was negligent in a way that caused you harm. We have the expertise needed to prove negligence – and we leave no stone un-turned when investigating, whether it be a breach of safety laws or unreasonable carelessness in the way that the vehicle was driven.
If the bus driver was negligent in the crash, the driver and the entity employing him could be responsible for your injury. If another vehicle struck the bus and caused the crash, you could pursue a claim against that vehicle. If there was a problem with the bus or train and its parts, the manufacturer of the vehicle could be held accountable for losses.
One of the most important choices you make after a bus accident is finding the right lawyers; and you have found them here. Contact us to talk about your bus accident case – we know what it takes to win.